Our children attend school, join groups and become part of organizations and those that surround them will teach them life lessons. Choose wisely! As much as we try to protect our children, they are exposed to some terrible things. I’m talking about hate, bullying and ridicule…. things that are taught and learned somewhere within the walls of home, school, church, the Internet and anywhere else where someone else leads them and they are part of a group.
How else would a child learn to hate or bully?
As parents we sometimes say things without thinking and we forget children are sponges and absorb many parts of our personality, our mannerisms and spirit. Family is the first teachers and role models. Children want to be like their parents, they want to feel grown up so they will talk about things that clearly come out of an adults mouth. I sometimes hear children repeat something that isn’t nice and it sounds like it comes from either mom and dad talking about the other…that is not healthy…in fact its teaching kids hate and bullying. I know its not malicious…or is it?
The pack mentality is a problem…cliques are no longer cool
Many times adults have gatherings with small children in the mix. Children are impressionable and listen to adult conversations trying to digest it with their little child mind. Hate, anger and uncontrolled emotions from a parent, grandparent, or any other relative are a lot for a small child to absorb and can cause deep rooted issues that could run into their adult life. We can’t change the world but you can sure change your household and be fully aware of what you talk about with your kids.
Then there are folks who voice their opinion on a variety of topics with small children present..children take the same standz as those who are around them in order to be loved, accepted and well behaved according to those that have the biggest influence on them.
Monitor What Your Child Does On the Internet
Reading the Internet is also another problem where freedom of speech is more important than a human beings feelings…you’re hate speech…your ridicule of something you don’t understand could possibly be your future nightmare…when a child becomes what parents, leaders and their peers hate….it can lead to some real serious problems…physiological problems and possibly death. Do you know how many children commit suicide because they did not measure up? Think about that…..
Suicide Is So Prevalent In Our Society Today
Stop poisoning our future…we are all responsible of the innocence of children individually and collectively. Verbal attacks and spewing hate is just as damaging as physical harm. We should teach our children…everyone is equal..tolerance and acceptance..think before you speak…
The statistics on bullying and suicide are alarming:
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
- Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University
- A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
- 10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above
- According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying
Just remember…children are innocent…they don’t care about race…they only want to run and play…and a happy child is often thought as gay! It’s the noise that others put in children’s ears that put a different spin on a child’s mind and could ruin a child’s life. It’s not our business nor our job to judge….but our responsibility to teach our children well. The best way to teach children is with love…only love…and never hate!